Once the SessionStack snippet has been installed, SessionStack will automatically start recording all your user sessions. See what’s a user session in SessionStack. All recorded sessions can be found in the Segments dashboard. In the users' list is shown the most recent session. All the rest recordings for any user from the grid can be found in the right-side panel by pressing the ">" sign.
If you rather not record all your users’ sessions within your application, you can opt-out of automatic recording by disabling the option in your project settings >> recording:
Note that if you choose to opt-out of automatic recording of user sessions, and you have not set up a manual recording for your web application, the only sessions that will be available for you to watch on-demand will be the ones you have watched live. Once you start a live session by hitting the Go live button, the latter will be recorded and will automatically appear in the Sessions dashboard when it ends. Also, bear in mind that these sessions count towards your monthly session quota. There is no option to watch live sessions without recording them.
Our primary dashboard Segments contain 3 main parts.
I) Users' list: shows all users with at least one recorded session. The shown session in the users' grid is the most recent one. All user sessions can be found in the right side panel in descending order from most recent to the earliest as shown below.
Use the "Only matching sessions" toggle to list only the relevant sessions for filters if any applied. The option is disabled in case there are no applied segment filters.
Click on the "dots" for download and delete options. Check the image below.
Check the User Details by selecting the 2nd tab in the right side panel of the user
II) User Trends: 4 Charts: shown on right next to the users' grid.
The first four charts of user trends provide you with a tool for determining how lively and strong your product is by answering the three essential questions:
- How many users currently meet the search criteria I have?
- How many sessions do the users have in the searched segment?
- How long do my users’ sessions usually last?
Description of User Trends
1) Users: The number of unique users who meet the filtering criteria
2) Total Sessions: total count of sessions across all users who meet the filtering criteria
3) Average Session Length: It is calculated by dividing total session time by the total number of sessions for users who meet the filtering criteria
4) Average Session Length per User: The sum of users' average session length divided by the number of users who meet the filtering criteria
User Trends are refreshed (reloaded) in one of the following cases:
- setting some search criteria, then all charts will be refreshed;
- choosing any of the previously created segments;
- switching between different previously created segments;
- clearing the applied filters or selected segment;
III) Filters Section
Once the Segment filters are applied, the list of the users and charts are updated accordingly.
The defined search criteria can be saved as a segment with a human-readable description so that each teammate understands what it is about without having to check the configurations thoroughly. The benefit of segment saving is that it can be used later by everyone in the team/organization. Next time, instead of creating a new configuration, simply select the previously saved one.
Updated 5 months ago